Best Caffeine Supplements Reviewed In Detail
Caffeine is a natural stimulant found in many things most people consume on a daily basis: coffee, tea, colas, energy drinks, food products containing chocolate, some energy bars, and over-the-counter medications. Caffeine takes effect on the central nervous system and different people may feel different levels of energy boost to make you hit the bag longer and stronger. After all, coffee and related beverages have been revving people up since, oh, the 15th century. And in the past 60 years, researchers have conducted more than 21,000 studies on our favorite stimulant. That’s an average of one new study a day through all of those decades.
Our Top 3 Picks
Caffeine can affect multiple biological processes but most notable are its effects on alertness, vigilance, and physical performance. Caffeine blocks receptors in areas of the brain that control arousal and motivation. Drinking a caffeinated beverage before a workout may boost performance, just like music. Caffeine is one of the most commonly used stimulants among athletes.
Can Caffeine Help You Lose Weight?
The controversy over caffeine’s role in weight loss has been going on for more than a decade. You’ve probably noticed that caffeine is a staple ingredient in many popular diet pills as well as fat-burning supplements. And you’ve probably also heard experts suggest that you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages to help you lose weight. All of this begs the question; can caffeine really help you lose weight?
Ingesting caffeine jumpstarts the process of lipolysis, which is when your body releases free fatty acids into the bloodstream? This occurs when your body is breaking down your fat stores to convert it into energy. In other words, caffeine boosts your metabolism slightly and helps you burn fat. If there’s one thing that everyone knows about coffee and similar beverages and pills, it’s that caffeine is a stimulant. It increases alertness and wards off drowsiness temporarily, which means that you can perform certain tasks for longer. This means a little shot of caffeine can give you the energy you need to give 100% during your training.
What It’ll Do For You?
Caffeine is mostly known for its ability to provide a boost of energy and increase mental alertness, but a laundry list of other benefits are also associated with it. Drinking three cups of caffeinated coffee a day may boost brain function with regard to memory and performance by activating dopamine. And studies suggest that caffeine may reduce the risk of stroke, several types of cancer and cardiovascular disease. Some doctors even prescribe caffeine for asthma, migraines, gallbladder disease, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, low blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
- In Japan, researchers have shown that caffeine increases memory. Also, a newer study out of John Hopkins University showed that a 200mg caffeine pill helped boost memory consolidation.
- Additionally, caffeine, when mixed with carbs, replenishes muscle glycogen concentrations faster after exercise.
- Caffeine helps keep you alert while driving during periods of sleep restriction.
- Caffeine combats drowsiness by tricking your brain into feeling alert. It temporarily blocks adenosine, a naturally sedating brain chemical, to prevent fatigue.
- Caffeine can improve physical performance in an endurance exercise like running, but the effect is less for short bursts of movement such as lifting weights or sprinting.
- Research shows that those who consume caffeine are at less risk of developing Parkinson’s disease and it even reduces the risk of those genetically more likely to develop the condition.
- Caffeine can reduce muscle pain during exercise—due to the chemical’s involvement with the parts of the brain and spinal cord that are heavily involved in pain processing.
- Caffeine is shown to reduce liver fibrosis risk in patients with hepatitis C.
- It improves reaction time and logical reasoning during times when sleep isn’t possible or restricted.
- Caffeine reduces chronic inflammation. It seems to help reduce the age-related inflammation in those that are regular consumers of the drug.
Side Effects of Caffeine
However, too much caffeine is harmful to your health. It can make your heart race, make you feel jittery and give you a whole host of other symptoms like nausea. If you don’t normally ingest caffeine, then just start with small amounts to see how your body reacts. And even if you’re used to it, be sure that you don’t overdose. As such, it beats up on certain systems in your body. And if you stop taking it after using it consistently, you’ll quickly feel the withdrawal effects (such as headaches). As such, you need to monitor how much you use to be sure you don’t get addicted or develop a high tolerance.
10 Best Caffeine Supplements for Weight Loss
1. Natures Design Green Tea Dietary Supplement
- It contains natural caffeine which gives you more energy, Also contains EGCG which breaks down fat and turns it into energy to power through workouts.
- More Energy + More Calories Burning = Optimal Fat Burn – Your body Is constantly burning calories, Green tea boost the metabolic rate so you burn more calories when exercising and even resting.
- This Pure Extract contains Antioxidants that help melt and burn fat, especially during exercise. The natural caffeine stimulates the breakdown of fat so it burns off faster!
- Green Tea Dietary Supplement boosts the metabolism and may reduce your appetite which reduces calorie intake. Also, cleanses for maximum weight loss.
- All Natures Design products are made with natural ingredients to ensure that you get the best products available. If you are unsatisfied you are entitled to 100% money back.
- Not only does this supplement burn fat, it has potent health benefits too. Studies show that it is particularly effective at reducing visceral fat.
- Some people complained of side effects.
- Not effective enough.
2. NatureWise Green Coffee Bean Extract 800
- The NatureWise 100% pure Green Coffee Bean Extract is standardized to 50% chlorogenic acids, the antioxidant component studied for its weight-loss effects.
- Contains GCA Green Coffee Bean Extract, one of the few patented forms of green coffee bean extract known for its high concentration of chlorogenic acids and overall excellence for ingredient quality and safety.
- Doctor formulated NatureWise Green Coffee Bean Extract 800 with GCA is gluten-free, vegan, and contains zero artificial ingredients.
- Unlike stimulating weight-management products, Green Coffee Bean Extract 800 is decaffeinated, with each vegetarian capsule containing the equivalent of one cup of decaffeinated coffee.
- All NatureWise supplements are verified for purity and potency by specialized ISO 17025 third party laboratories, so you know that what you buy is what you get.
- Made in the USA. NatureWise is an NSF certified company and all products are made according to strict GMP standards.
- No Cons so far.
3. Zhou Nutrition Green Tea Extract Supplement
- Zhou Nutrition’s Green Tea Extract contains polyphenol catechins and Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) to fight cell damage, aid the growth of healthy cells in your body, and promote fat oxidation.
- It’s rich in bioflavonoid and protects against digestive and respiratory infections.
- It has thermogenic effects that aid in weight loss without causing jitters or other unwanted side effects.
- Green tea extract helps decrease hormone activity and is an effective treatment for acne.
- It stimulates the immune system and helps defend against dental plaque.
- The combination of caffeine and L-theanine in Green Tea has synergistic effects to improve brain function, including improved mood, vigilance, reaction time and memory.
- You’ll get gentle energy that lasts throughout the day without the jitters and crash that high-caffeine products and supplements have.
- Many users complained of not getting desired results.
- May have side effects.
4. Zest Tea Pomegranate Mojito Green Energy Tea
- Named Top New Product at the 2015 World Tea Expo, Zest Tea is known for its unique energy characteristics (first tea product with as much caffeine as coffee) as well as it’s bold and exciting flavors.
- Each bag contains as much natural caffeine as coffee; 140 – 160 mg per cup; 3x the energy levels of traditional caffeinated teas. This makes Zest the strongest tea on the market!
- Includes L-Theanine, an amino acid that has been shown to boost cognitive function when in combination with caffeine and help reduce the jitters and crash commonly associated with caffeinated products. The end result is a steady and prolonged alertness.
- Zest Teas are a delicious and healthy alternative to coffee. With Zest, you avoid the jitters and crash of coffee and the product is perfect for individuals that suffer from indigestion or similar side effects of coffee.
- Made with premium ingredients to make the best out of your caffeine supplement.
- Weak flavors.
- The sampler is a bit overpriced.
5. Amazing Formulas Caffeine Supplement
- Caffeine is usually recommended for healthy weight management and caffeine workout support supplements to energize the body and promote a healthy metabolism.
- These caffeine capsules can assist with focus and alertness to give you a pick-me-up when you need it.
- Every capsule of this caffeine supplement provides 200 milligrams of anhydrous caffeine, which is about as much as you get from a very strong cup of coffee.
- All Amazing Nutrition products are manufactured in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), among the highest standards in the world.
- The product is free of preservatives, artificial colors, and artificial sweeteners, making it a great choice apple pectin dietary supplement.
- All the products are proudly made in USA with Guaranteed Purity & Potency. Plus they all are third party tested for supreme quality testing.
- No cons.
6. RARI Nutrition Lean Genes Fat Incinerator
- Composed of specific ingredients that put the body in a thermogenic state which improves metabolism and enables users to have more energy whilst working out.
- Lean Genes enhances the benefits of natural thermogenesis in order to burn fat more efficiently.
- Amongst the ingredients used in the Lean Genes Formula are Citrus Aurantium, Garcinia Cambogia, and Caffeine Anhydrous which are popular components of thermogenic supplements.
- Citrus Aurantium acts like a thermogenic enhancer whilst Garcinia Cambogia promotes higher energy levels in order to support better performance at the gym.
- Caffeine Anhydrous is popular due to the fact that it dramatically enhances energy levels and supports cognitive function making users more focused and alert.
- Scientifically researched and backed by certified lab testing, Lean Genes is proven to increase metabolism, suppress appetite and burn fat.
- The labs are GMP certified for safety and all the ingredients are tested for purity. The GMP certification is enforced by the U.S. F.D.A. so you can be completely confident in the quality and safety of the product.
- This is a great solution against low mood and stress whilst enhancing the body mechanism.
- Some users complained of terrible heartburn.
7. Prolab Caffeine
- This is a great pre-workout product at a great price that will also help you stay more focused, stay awake on long drives with little or no side effects without overdoing it.
- Caffeine provides the energizing effects of caffeine with zero added sugar or calories to support your training needs without compromising your dietary goals.
- Caffeine triggers a range of performance-specific benefits including improved focus, elevated alertness, faster reaction time, reduced fatigue, increased endurance and elevated mood.
- It delivers a surge of 200mg of caffeine any time you need to quickly jump start your mental and physical performance.
- Helps restore mental alertness or wakefulness when experiencing fatigue and drowsiness.
- Prolab takes the mystery out of building the body you’re after with a coordinated array of advanced nutritional formulas that deliver what they promise.
- May cause negative side effects such as jitters and nervousness.
- May cause caffeine addiction, may cause increased blood pressure and heart rate.
8. Pro Clinical Hydroxycut
- Average weight loss with key ingredients (lady’s mantle, wild olive, komijn, wild mint) was 20.94 lbs. in a 12-week study and 16.50 lbs. in an 8-week study.
- The average BMI reduction with key ingredients was 10.2% vs. 0.9% with placebo in one 12-week study, and 8.1% vs. 0.8% in one 8-week study.
- Scientifically researched ingredient caffeine anhydrous is shown to not only give you fast-acting energy, but also help boost your metabolism so you can keep up with our busy lifestyle.
- Numerous studies show that caffeine can boost metabolism by 3-11% and enhance fat burning by about 10-29%.
- It helps with thermogenesis and helps the metabolism of fat. It works well without increasing the heart rate which is most often associated with most fat burners.
- Pro Clinical Hydroxycut contains a key ingredient (caffeine anhydrous [1,3,7-trimethylxanthine]) that can boost your energy to help you keep up with your exercise plan and still have the energy left to get more done in a day.
- Weight loss formula with clinically-backed key ingredients (lady’s mantle extract, wild olive extract, komijn extract and wild mint extract) that can help you lose weight when combined with diet and exercise
- Some people complained of possible side effects.
- Few users find it unsafe for use.
9. Genius Caffeine
- Genius Caffeine is different than every other caffeine pill on the market because it’s sustained released, ultra pure trademarked version (NEWCAFF).
- NEWCAFF is also notably safer than its alternatives. By delaying the rapid absorption typically associated with regular caffeine, Genius provides the desired alertness & sustained energy without the unwanted side effects.
- Normal caffeine is quickly absorbed leading to a stimulating effect after consumption which leads to energy fluctuations. Through a controlled release, microencapsulation technique, Genius Caffeine provides true sustained energy.
- Caffeine stimulates thermogenesis, accelerating the rate at which your body burns calories. It also helps to suppress the appetite for extended periods of time.
- Genius Burn’s advanced fat loss formula was formulated caffeine free. By stacking Genius Caffeine with Genius Burn, you can amplify fat loss results.
- Genius Caffeine is made with Veggie Capsules and contains no fillers, dyes or unnecessary additives.
- Not like your regular caffeine.
10. Zhou Nutrition Energy+Focus
- The combination of 100mg of caffeine and 200mg of L-Theanine work together to provide clean energy that helps you be more productive.
- The combination of caffeine and L-Theanine is a completely natural formula where all the negative effects are neutralized, while the benefits are kept.
- Zhou Nutrition focus and energy formula provides all of the positive effects of caffeine and L-Theanine without the unhealthy ingredients that are packed with calories.
- By promoting both mental focus and a calm, smooth energy, you’ll also love how at ease and “on top of your game” you can feel in social situations.
- With the Zhou Nutrition’s Energy + Focus formula, you’ll enjoy the benefits of caffeine & L-Theanine without the unhealthy ingredients, added calories, or added expense.
- L-Theanine promotes relaxation, a calm mind, improved memory, and reduction in stress.
- The two ingredients work in synergy making you feel calm and focused like nothing else you can find on the market.
- All products come with a 60-day 100% money back guarantee. You can even return empty bottles! It’s impossible to ignore the smooth energy surge and mental focus that this caffeine supplement provides.
- Not exactly tastes like caffeine.
- The supplement is a bit overpriced.
That being said, if you’re already a coffee drinker or you otherwise ingest caffeine regularly, the good news is that you don’t have to stop. Since it seems to be more beneficial than harmful – and because it does give you a slight edge in the gym – you can keep enjoying your caffeine. Just be sure to do it in moderation so as to avoid getting addicted.