Best Taekwondo Uniforms for Men Reviewed and Rated
One of the most frequent questions you must have heard around the martial arts circle is what is the most important thing or gear you need for your first martial arts class? Well, it doesn’t take much to guess that the first and most obvious piece of equipment you’ll need when joining a new martial arts school in a uniform. The moment a student begins the martial art journey, he or she receives a uniform and a white belt. It is a special moment and you can actually see it on the student’s face. This moment sets the foundation for the entire martial journey.
Our Top 3 Picks
Why We Wear Uniforms In Martial Arts?
Most schools tend to utilize the conventional uniform for their art. For example, if you are joining a Karate school, you will most likely use a karate uniform, and if you are joining a Kung Fu school, you’ll more likely wear a Kung Fu uniform, however, this isn’t always the case. You may find many Tae Kwon Do schools where students use Karate garbs and many Jiu Jitsu schools where the students wear a Judo Gi. The uniform really shows a student’s sense of duty to the martial arts journey.
The uniform is also a symbol of unity. It says, “we are one, and we are doing this together.” For centuries this uniform has helped individuals draw strength from each other, and build the courage to face the challenges ahead. When a student wears this uniform, he sees, hears, and feels that he’s entered a new realm. Ultimately, the student gets the message that they are here for a reason and every student of the martial arts, from the Grandmaster to the beginner student, bows on the way into the dojo.
What’s the Right Uniform for What?
In Karate the uniform comprises of a white suit which usually comes in two distinct sizes for both guys and gals. Right off the bat, there is a children’s white uniform and then there is the grown-up white uniform. There is no actual difference in sizes between the male and the female uniforms which might be a problem for some. In Tae Kwon Do, the suit shares quite a striking resemblance with the karate, but only with a V-neck and in either a black V-neck or a white V-neck. The pants are sold independently so it adds to some additional cost.
The other aspect you need to consider is that many uniform styles come in different weights. Different systems of Karate may require you to use a heavier or lighter weight uniform during training. Also, martial arts are known for their powerful grabs and takedowns typically use a heavier gi than martial arts known for their fast movements and acrobatic kicks. White is the most popular color used in most dojos, but many schools allow their students to wear different colors as their belt rank gets higher.
How to Choose the Right Uniform?
Lightweight – The lightweight traditional uniform ranges anywhere from 4 oz. to 7 oz., and they are an ideal weight for a beginner student. Plus they are more accommodating for learning techniques because they make it easy for younger and beginner students to move.
Middleweight – The middleweight fabric can range from 7 oz. to 10 oz. They are a little heavier than the lightweight category to provide added durability as training can get more intense.
Heavyweight – A heavyweight fabric is usually around 12 oz. These are usually preferred by higher level students because they want heavier uniforms which are made of heavy drill cotton or canvas. Not only these uniforms last longer but they also stand up to intense workouts.
Tae Kwon Do uniforms, on the other hand, have a pullover V-neck top and the pants tend to be slightly baggier than Karate pants. This allows for greater flexibility and range of motion for the fast high kicks. They are also available in textured fabrics such as “Dobby” or “Ribbed” cotton/polyester blend.
It karate, black and white are the 2 main colors.. White is typical of every dojo while black comes from a more traditional form. Any other color is considered related to a specific dojo and modern.
That being said, it is very important to take time over the selection of the right martial arts uniform, known traditionally as a “Gi”. You will wear this essential item when sparring with your fellow students and taking on your opponents in competitions. That’s why it’s important to make the right purchase of a highly comfortable and durable outfit which matches your individual requirements and style. Take a look at our top picks which might help you take the right decision.
10 Best Taekwondo Uniforms for Men
1. Tiger Claw Essential Karate Uniform
- Lightweight fabric yet heavy-duty for toughest training sessions
- Optimal fit for all shape and size
- Perfect blend of cotton and polyester with a wrinkle-free finish
- Gusseted crotch for maximum durability and comfort
- Extra panel between the legs allows more room for kicks, stretching, etc.
- Freedom of movement and ease of use
- The material isn’t the greatest
- The uniform is too small
- Sizing is a bit off
2. Century Martial Arts Karate Uniform
- High-quality fabric for comfort, easy care, and durability
- Easy to maintain, polyester/Cotton blend fabric
- Reinforced vents, underarms, and back of shoulders for added strength
- Multiple lock stitching for superior performance
- Traditional drawstring waist band with fully gusseted crotch and reinforced vents
- Very little or no shrinkage after wash
- Not good enough for someone who trains seriously
- The pants are a little tight
- The arms and pants are too long
3. Tiger Claw 7 Oz White Karate Uniform
- Made of durable poly/cotton blend fabric for durability
- Fully gusseted elastic waistband with drawstring for superior comfort
- High quality product on a budget-friendly price
- Heavy-duty material for lasting use
- Pants fit well, enough room to move around
- Double inseam pants for optimal fit and comfort
- The sizing is a little bit off
- The uniform does not seem durable enough
4. ProForce Ultra Lightweight Student Uniform
- Lightweight yet durable fabric for quality performance
- Cotton/Polyester blend fabric for increased durability
- Elastic waistband with a drawstring for comfort fit
- The soft fabric is very comfortable
- Great for teaching classes
- Retains its size and shape after several wash treatments
- The length is good and it fits just well
- Sizing is inaccurate
- Easier to move in, but doesn’t seem to last long
- Pants are too tight to move in
5. Mooto WTF Extera S5 Taekwondo Uniform
- High-density and flexible material for added strength
- Lightweight fabric for a lasting use
- Fabric conforms to the skin like an additional layer
- Allows for quick and faster movement during sparring
- Soft lining eliminates material sores even under extreme conditions
- The Mooto logo looks appealing
- The collar, cuffs, and hems are all strengthened
- Ergonomic design with 3D pattern
- Breathable panel across the shoulder for maximum comfort
- Great fabric but not that breathable
- Sizing is not accurate
6. Adidas Taekwondo Dobok Uniform
- Cotton/Polyester blend fabric makes laundering foolproof
- Lightweight fabric yet breathable and sweat-resistant
- Supreme durability and superior comfort at a decent price
- Embroidered Adidas logo on the chest and pants
- Fabric remains stiff even after several wash treatments
- Allows for freedom of movement and mobility
- Ideal for intense sparring in training in hot summer days
- The jacket doesn’t seem proportional to the pants
- It doesn’t fit properly. Sizing is a bit off
7. Century Martial Arts Lightweight Taekwondo Student Uniform
- Lightweight yet heavy-duty fabric for comfort, easy care, and durability
- Easy care with breathable fabric
- Reinforces vents, underarms, and back of shoulders for superior comfort
- Multiple lock stitching for added strength
- Reinforced gusseted crotch for ease of movement
- Very little or no shrinkage after washing
- The sizing chart is not accurate
- Pants are too long
8. BBS Taekwondo V-Neck White Complete Uniform
- Heavy-duty construction for lasting use
- Polyester/cotton blend fabric allows for easy movement
- Breathable fabric for ease of use
- Held its shape well even after several wash treatments
- Fully gusseted pants for uniform stress distribution for ease of movement
- Elastic waistband with drawstring allows for quick movements
- High-quality taekwondo uniform at a pocket-friendly price
- Freedom of movement while tackling opponents
- Reinforced double inseam for maximum durability and additional comfort
- Not exactly the best quality fabric
- Sizing is not accurate. Proceed carefully
9. Century Martial Arts Middleweight Student Uniform
- Lightweight and durable fabric for intense training sessions
- Polyester/cotton blend fabric provides breathability
- Preserves its shape and color after several wash treatments
- Elastic waistband for optimal fit
- Century logo on the chest for a classic touch
- The high-quality fabric is stiff enough to keep the rolls in place
- Ease of movement and agility
- Ideal for trainers and school owners alike
- Uniform runs a little small
- Sizing is way off
- The fabric is a little stiff
10. Kango Fitness Karate Gi Uniform
- Improved breathability and comfort for everyday use
- Adjusted to allow for shrinkage of 2% to 3%
- Durable to last a lifetime
- Great quality fabric
- Superior craftsmanship at a budget friendly price
- Multiple lock stitching for added strength
- Pants feature an elastic drawstring waist
- Will not become see-through when damp with sweat
- The outfit runs a little big
- Comes with a huge patch which is kind of annoying at times
- Not very soft fabric