MMA Kids Gloves Reviewed and Rated
Mixed Martial Arts (often called simply MMA) is a brutal sport that removes the limits of many contact sports. You can’t throw kicks in boxing, you shouldn’t grapple in kickbox, and you should definitely avoid some of these things in BJJ, lest you get choked in submission.
Now, MMA removes those limits, and that’s why it is one of the most brutal sports since the dawn of time. This is exactly the reason why people are so scared when their kids say that they want to train MMA.
Our Top 3 Picks
What’s the difference between regular boxing gloves and MMA gloves?
Regular boxing gloves are often quite heavy. They are comprised of various foam paddings and stitches, and they’re quite bulkier. It’s only common that MMA practitioners and fighters use standard boxing gloves during their striking training, but it’s hard to imagine the picture of a boxer with a set of MMA gloves.
In order to better grasp the nature of these differences, we should compare the standard boxing gloves and MMA gloves on the field of performance:
Standard Boxing Gloves pros:
- Increased hitting surface
The standard boxing gloves are quite big, and you can actually choose which part of the hitting surface will land home. Now, why is this so important? It’s harder to miss with a large hitting surface. Accuracy is definitely important, but you don’t need surgical precision for a proper punch.
- Accumulate more power for punches
Since boxing gloves are heavy, their weight contributes to the strength of your punches. Mass times acceleration equals a K.O.
- Superior defense
Again, the bulkiness of standard boxing gloves puts them in a favorable position when compared to MMA gloves. Most people will agree that it’s definitely easier to defend yourself with these gloves than with MMA gloves (but it’s also a matter of luck and skill).
- Ideal for cross hits and uppercuts (when compared to MMA gloves)
Jabs are created in boxing and for boxing, but MMA gloves tend to do a better job in this field. Cross hits and uppercuts are ideal because of the strength accumulation in each punch.
Standard Boxing Gloves contras:
- Quite bulky and heavy
Boxing gloves tend to feel quite awkward in the beginning. In fact, some people can’t get accustomed to them after long periods of time. Their bulkiness is good for defense, but it might leave some blind spots which you can’t defend.
- Require a lot of skill in order to be used properly
You just can’t use boxing gloves in the way they’re intended to be used if you don’t have any skills. Most people think that all you need to do is simply put them on and make some havoc, but it’s not that easy.
- Standard boxing gloves drain a lot of stamina
The weight of standard boxing gloves puts a lot of strain on our muscles while we train in them, and they tend to fatigue the wearer a great deal more when compared to MMA gloves.
MMA gloves pros:
- Ideal for controlling the situation
MMA gloves are literally worn to prevent you from damaging your knuckles (and your opponent, of course). They can be observed as the extension of your arms, and you can control the situation as you see please, as long as you’re not facing an overly aggressive opponent.
- Lightweight and comfortable
These gloves are very light, and they’re incredibly comfortable. When compared to standard boxing gloves, MMA gloves definitely win this one.
MMA gloves contras:
- Inferior defense
Smaller gloves mean that you’ll have your skills alone to defend yourself, where with the standard boxing gloves you would have a large shield.
- Lack the strength of standard boxing gloves
Surely enough, you can pack quite a punch in MMA gloves too, but that can’t compare with the destructive force of the boxing gloves. This one goes to the boxing gloves.
10 Best MMA Kids Gloves
1. Ringside Combat Sports Youth Pro MMA Muay Thai Kids Half-Mitts Gloves
- Thick and durable – these MMA gloves are made of synthetic leather and they feature a 3/4-inch padding
- Quite affordable – Ringside’s MMA mitts are some of the best MMA kids gloves in the price range
- Available in different colors – you can get these MMA gloves in eight different colors
- Quite tight – there are MMA gloves that are way more comfortable to wear
2. RDX Maya Hide Leather 4-6 pounces Kids Boxing Gloves
- Secure fit design – the Slipastic Velcro wrists allow for a perfect fit
- Resilient Maya leather – these MMA gloves are very, very durable. Made to last
- EVA-LUTION foam pads – premium quality foam filling material
- These mitts are primarily for boxing – grappling and submissions aren’t as easy with these gloves
3. Cheerwing Half Finger Boxing MMA Glove Mitts
- A great price – one of the best kids MMA gloves in the budget category
- A durable material – PU leather construction with sponge filling
- Lightweight – these MMA gloves weigh 10 ounces
- Budget MMA gloves – they’re good for starting out, mostly
4. Granvela ZOOBOO Half-finger MMA Boxing gloves with Velcro wrist straps
- Available in different colors – you can get Granvela’s MMA gloves in 8 different colors
- Very durable – they’re made of premium-quality synthetic leather materials
- Superior breathability and comfort – perforations in the palm section allow for superior breathability and comfort
- An affordable price – these kid MMA gloves belong to the budget price point category
- Quite thin - It’s quite difficult to defend in these gloves
5. Revgear Youth Boxing Glove
- Available in Youth and Adult versions – you can get this MMA gloves in Youth or Adult versions (different in weight)
- Light as a feather – Revgear’s MMA gloves are lighter than most MMA gloves
- A beautiful design – these boxing mitts are beautiful
- Available at a high price – these gloves cost nearly twice as much when compared to standard MMA gloves
6. Hayabusa Ikusa Hybrid Glove
- Dual-X wrist support – this technology makes sure that these gloves stay in place once you’ve put them
- Premium-quality materials – Hayabusa’s MMA gloves are made of engineered leather with superior inner lining
- Very versatile – you can use these gloves for Karate, MMA, Muay Thai, and other contact sports
- Very expensive – Hayabusa’s MMA gloves belong to the “expensive” price point category. They’re awesome, but they cost quite a lot
7. Kids Boxing Gloves, junior mitts, junior MMA boxing gloves 4 ounces
- Available at an affordable price – Farabi’s kid's boxing junior mitts belong to the affordable price point category
- Optimum performance – these MMA gloves excel in the boxing field of performance
- Lightweight – Farabi’s kids boxing junior mitts weigh only 4 ounces
- This model is reserved for girls
8. RDX Kids 6oz Maya Hide leather MMA Training mitts
- Superior shock absorption – RDX advance tech MMA gloves are coated with special gel infused padding for superior shock absorption
- Durable materials – these gloves are made of ultra-durable Maya Hide leather
- Breathable, anti-moisture properties – the X-nylon palm-mesh technology keeps moisture away at all times
- One of the more expensive pairs of MMA gloves
9. Cheerwing 6oz PU Kids Boxing gloves MMA mitts
- Made of durable materials – this pair of MMA gloves is made of premium quality PU leather and EVA materials
- Comfortable and customizable fit – these MMA gloves feature an elastic wrist strap gives you a customizable and comfortable fit
- Lightweight – Cheerwing’s MMA gloves weigh only 6 pounds and they’re 9.25” large and 5.82” wide
- The design is too childish, even for kids
10. Prime Kids Boxing Gloves Mitts MMA Sparring gloves
- High-quality – these MMA gloves are made of premium-quality leather and foam materials
- An attractive design – this model is very plain, but still extremely appealing and attractive
- Superior shock absorption – Prime Leather’s MMA gloves come with machine injected mold that provides superior shock absorption
- Great for box – improving your boxing game will be easy with these gloves. Jap, the bunch, cross and uppercut your way to victory
- Girl variant – most boys would refrain from wearing a pair of ping MMA gloves
A short discourse – MMA kids
This sport is only brutal when it’s done by professionals in the place designated for the fight (read – “cage”). People often watch it on their TVs and they make the assumption that everything about this sport is bloody and gory. This statement couldn’t be further from the truth.
A trainee of Mixed Martial Arts can have 10 or 100 years – nobody ever set the restrictions for that matter. Now, there are various possible reasons why a kid would want to train MMA, so let’s name a couple of them:
- They’ve seen it on TV or heart of it from their peers
This is, perhaps, one of the main reasons how kids even get acquainted with this discipline. The rule “the more you know” doesn’t apply correctly here, mainly because these kids often try to recreate what they’ve seen or heard. Whenever you hear that “a kid got injured in school”, there are chances that this was the reason.
- Some kids are natural talents
Talented children often show inclination towards certain objects or themes at a very young age. It’s actually quite cute when you see a 5-year old kid sporting a pair of gloves that are bigger than his head, hitting a punching bag or a tree.
These kids don’t need introduction to MMA – they know what they need to do, they know what they like, and you should be supportive whenever you see a young daredevil chasing his (or her) dream.
- Parents who are into/like this sport often guide their children into MMA
MMA fighters often have children that aspire to be just like them. The story is pretty similar when it comes to those parents that simply like MMA too much. In fact, whenever a parent likes a sport, they instinctively try to push their children into the same basket.
Why should you consider buying a pair of kids MMA gloves?
Well, first of all, you should consider buying a pair of kids MMA gloves if you’re a child yourself, or if you’re a parent who has a kid who wishes to train Mixed Martial Arts. Let’s assume that you’re one of the two, and speak about the benefits you can take advantage of:
- MMA gloves are incredibly comfortable
Fingerless MMA gloves are incredibly light, and they’re usually stuffed with special foam that serves to protect you from incoming hits. This foam is also the reason why these gloves are so comfortable. If you own a pair of MMA boxing gloves, they resemble standard boxing gloves, but they’re lighter and easier to use (boxing gloves wear you out pretty quick).
- They’re a MUST for MMA practice
Of course, some trainers often insist on training sessions that include regular boxing gloves, but that’s a part of the training when you need to overcome your disadvantage and come on top of the situation.
MMA gloves are the only gloves that are actually good for standard MMA practice, sparring, and fights. They’re lightweight and sleeveless so you can enjoy optimal mobility, execute takedowns and submissions, all the while using your hands to punch, jab, and throw overhands.
- Your kid will have better odds at grasping the concept of MMA with these gloves
MMA includes boxing, kickboxing, grappling, BJJ, and various other contact sports. Simply thinking about training all of these separately in their original forms is surreal (e.g. boxing with boxing gloves, kickboxing in Thai uniforms, taekwondo kicks in a kimono, etc.).
Outfitting your kid with MMA gear from the beginning will make sure that the gloves and leg shields become the extension of his (or her) arms and legs.
The Perks of kids MMA gloves
Ok, so we just went through the reasons why you should but these gloves, and now it’s time to speak about the perks that come with this gear. We should be clear on this – training without MMA gear is not impossible. It’s just harder. It’s as if you were trying to swim with your clothes on. Some of the perks that kids MMA gloves can offer you are:
- Become one with your gear at young age for optimal results
Think of it this way – running with heavy shoes may exert your muscles, and it may get them stronger, but that’s not a real situation. Fighting an opponent in MMA sparing is done with MMA gloves. Cutting a wood is done with an axe. There’s literally “everything for everything”.
Getting accustomed to your gear at a young age is an ideal way of getting to know how it functions, acquiring the feeling of defending against blows and delivering the hits, feeling the pressure of weight, and so on. If you want to get optimal results, this is your best bet.
- MMA gloves will make sure that your kid can train in the most natural way possible
Some people say that training with weights on your arms and legs will make you faster and stronger when you take them off during a sparring/fight. This is one of the most common mistakes that an MMA fighter can make.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, you need to be real and prepare for realistic situations. Pressure is one of the key points in MMA, and how your kid handles it will determine the results of its training. If it’s well equipped, it can train in the most natural way possible, and you’ll see the results soon enough.