Best Posture Correctors for Optimal Fighting Form Reviewed
We’re all guilty of slumping nowadays. Whether we’re bent forward over our smartphone, tablet, or laptop, it’s a common sight: our shoulders roll forward, our head dips down, and our spine takes on a strange shepherds-hook shape. Most of us feel it too in the way of neck, upper back, and shoulder pain. Slouching has many very real and very concern health effects. In the long run, it can negatively affect your mood, but can also constrict your blood vessels, leading to poor blood flow. Additionally, it can also cause digestive issues due to the fact that in a hunched position, you are constricting your intestines, slowing their food processing and making harder overall for them to do their job. Finally, poor body positioning can lead to clenching of the jaw, which in turn causes jaw pain and headaches.
This may be a common issue, but it is especially problematic for fighters and people who take up martial arts. Why? Because in these sports, form is everything. Whether you’re learning a Wushu kungfu sword form or trying to defeat your opponent in the boxing ring, poor form can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Having a neck that is dipped too far forward or shoulders that are slouched can cost you majorly in competition if you’re being judged on form. Similarly, bad form can lead to your opponent getting a knock-out punch past your guard and taking you out of the competition.
- Long term guarantee
- Adjustable firmness
- Penewell Posture Corrector
- Shoulder support
- Full Coverage
- Neoprene Construction
But what is a fighter to do? Luckily, there is an entire marketplace out there that is devoted to creating products to solve problems just like these. Called posture correctors, these devices are commonly a series of straps, belts, and braces that help you to straighten up and fix your spine over time. You start out wearing them for just a short amount of time every day–usually a half hour or less. Eventually, you work your way up to wearing them for several hours a day at a time. Once your body is no longer hunched, everything works betters. Your intestines can process better and faster, your blood flows easier, and you have less jaw pain and headaches. The best of the best have been assembled below to help you pick out the product that is perfect for you.
10 Best Posture Correctors
Many products that fix spinal and shoulder alignment give you only one product, which is a set of straps you have to wear around the shoulders. However, Marakym gives you more for your money, including kinesiology tape with your purchase with your spinal alignment and health.
Sometimes you need to carry your spinal alignment product around with you, especially when you've graduated to wearing it for several hours a day. However, it can be tricky to transport. The straps are easy to get tangled and snagged. Marakym includes a free carry bag with your purchase to avoid this snafu.
Cost and Value
This product has a middling to low price when compared to other items on our list. Its low price may lead you to think that it is cheaply made or skimps on accessories, but the opposite is true. When you consider all of the freebies thrown in with this item, you'll wonder how anybody could pass it up.
Included kinesiology tape
100% Money-back guarantee
Uncomfortable during initial phases
2. Penewell Posture Corrector
Fixing your spinal alignment and body positioning can be difficult, especially if you're used to crouching over a computer desk all day. With this product, you'll get the shoulder support you need to begin adjusting your way to better form and better health.
Worried that your product won't do the job that it says it will? Well, you can rest assured that either this product will help you as advertised, or you will be getting your money back. If for any reason something goes wrong with the Penewell, you can have a replacement shipped right to your door, or go through the refund process.
Cost and Value
This product has a mid-range cost when compared to other products on our list. However, unlike other products, this one comes with a lifetime guarantee. If those other products break, you're out of luck. But with the Penewell, you can have a replacement shipped right to your door. Its value can't be denied.
May receive wrong item
This product utilizes a unique design that isn't found in other products like it. The double-pull mechanism gives additional support and pull. This feature is paired with the ergonomic design int eh armpit area for a comfortable fit and fully adjustable double pull straps
Support for Upper and Lower Back
Most products in this category only focus on the upper back, forcing the shoulders backward and up to fix spinal alignment and body form. However, this product doubles down and grants support to both the upper and lower back. This allows for greater alignment, superior form, and incredible support.
Cost and Value
This product has a middling cost when compared to other items on our list. However, unlike other items on our list, this product essentially gives you double your money's worth. Nearly all other products on this list work only on the upper back; this product works on both the upper and lower back. For superior quality at an affordable price, this product is packed with value.
Double pull mechanism
One of the downfalls of spinal alignment products--or any product that sits tightly on the body and involves straps, is the complicated process of getting it on and off. Oftentimes people enlist the helped of roommates, loved ones, or others to help with this task. Well, no more. This product has an easy-on design that ensures you can get it on and off by yourself.
The ComfyMed is a hybrid product that brings you the best of both kinds of product. The first is the simple figure-eight design, which gives freedom of movement, but not as much support. The other is the traditional model, which is more supportive, but more constricting. Here, you get the support and the freedom of movement.
Cost and Value
This product has a low price when compared to other items on our list. Despite the fact that it is inexpensive, it is constructed with thoughtfulness and quality. Its hybrid design ensures the best of both worlds, and its easy-on design ensures ease of wear.
Size 29" to 40"
Orthopedists are doctors who specialize in helping people who have deformities and irregularities in the skeleton. An orthopedist is the one who designed this product. When you're looking for a product that will do what it says it does, finding one designed by an expert is like hitting a gold mine.
Works Over Time
This product is designed to work over time. Trying to get results right away often proves to be excruciating and uncomfortable. With the Agon, you can ease into spinal alignment in a way that is easy on both yourself and your body. It's difficult enough to fix your form--it shouldn't be painful as well.
Cost and Value
This product has a somewhat high price when compared to other items on our list. There are other products on this list that are comparable but cost less money. However, those products were not designed by an expert in the field. You can be sure that science went into this product, and that is worth paying for.
Works over time
Easy to adjust
6. BERLIN & Daughter
You'll have noticed by now that most products on this list have quite a similar design. Generally, there is some kind of figure-eight design, or other wise there is one set of straps in the front or the back. This product has a triple-band design in the back and a simple stomach band system in the front.
Due to this unique design, this product is reversible. Every other product can only be worn one way. However you wear this product, it will work. You can close it at the front or the back, depending on your personal preference and level of ability. No other product on this list has that capability.
Cost and Value
This product is the third-most-expensive product on our list but is still reasonably priced. It is unique among other products in both its design and reversibility. It also has stitching designed for durability and material that is designed to be tough and long-lasting. Overall, it's simply packed with value.
Soft and stretchy
Can be loose
This is a truly all-terrain product. Whether you're just trying to straighten up after slouching at your desk, or you're hitting the basketball court and want to fix your form, you can wear this item wherever you go. Stand straighter and taller no matter whatever you're doing or wherever you are.
This product is slipped into similarly to a backpack--just as simply and just as easily. No fussing with complex strapping systems and feeling like you've been tied up in a harness. This product is also fully adjustable so that you can get that "just right" feeling of comfort, as well as the effectiveness of the intentional design.
Cost and Value
This is by far the least expensive item on our list, costing half as much as other similar items. Despite being so low-cost, it has features that are comparable to--and in some cases exceed--products in a similar class. Overall it is a great deal.
Can be worn all day
8. Core Thrive
The Food and Drug Administration of America is the highest authority on medicine and medical devices, and have the final say-so on the release of new products into the market. This product has not only been submitted to them but also earned their seal of approval.
Detachable armpit pads
Comfort is an important thing when you're looking at a product like this. It's going to be a slightly painful product to adjust your spine into optimal position. The product you're using shouldn't make the process any more painful than it has to be. To that end, this product has detachable armpit pads to make the experience of wearing it easier and more comfortable.
Cost and Value
This product is the second-least expensive item on our list when compared to the other products we've assembled here. Despite being so low-cost, it holds its own when compared to other similar products. Its features speak for themselves: detachable armpit pads, convenient front adjustment, and FDA registration. Overall, this is a high-quality product that is stuffed with value.
Easy front adjustment
Detachable armpit pads
Fits large range of sizes
Offers Less Support
9. The Backpod
Many people who design products such as this one are simply business persons trying to make money. However, the designers of this product have a combined thirty years of experience in spinal health. This product was designed by drawing on the depth of that knowledge to produce one fantastic product.
Especially Good for Chronic Conditions
This is one of the few products like it on the market that was specifically also designed to be an aid in treating chronic health conditions, such as Costochondritis, Tietze's Syndrome, Asthma, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Scoliosis, Scheuermann's Disease, etc. Being designed to help people with spinal deformities ensures that it can get you the results you need.
Cost and Value
This is by far the most expensive product on our list. However, it has perhaps the most extensive history of research and development. Its creators have over thirty years of experience, and they used every ounce of that expertise to bring this product to you. Expertise comes at a price.
Especially good for chronic conditions
Skip the chiropractor
Developers have 30yrs experience
pre-and post-pregnancy products. All of their products come with a five-year manufacturer's warranty. Their mission is to help customers both domestically and internationally at a price that meets their consumer's needs.
Oftentimes wearing a spinal alignment device entails wearing it for many hours a day, especially at higher levels. However, this can be difficult to hide underneath clothing and can be lumpy and uncomfortable. For customers with a lighter skin tone, this product sits against the skin and isn't noticeable underneath your clothing,
All BeFit24 products come with an included five-year warranty. If you should experience any kind of difficulty or failure with this product, you can get some peace of mind knowing that the manufacturer will replace it for you free of charge.
Cost and Value
This product is the second most expensive product on our list. For some people, the price may simply be too high. However, for those who like to guarantee their investment, this could be right for you. Eventually, time wears away on all things, but not the BeFit24 brace. The warranty on this product is more extensive and longer-lasting than any other products' on this list.
Fits any body
Painful to start
Slouching isn’t just bad for your spine; it’s also bad for your gut (because it slows digestion by cramping your lower intestine), bad for your circulation (because it constricts blood flow), and bad for your mental health (it can lead to drowsiness and less mental energy). Fixing your spinal alignment opens the gateway not only to better fighting form but to better overall health. Once you’ve straightened up, you’ll digest food better and get better nutrition. You’ll have better blood flow and better endurance. Finally, you’ll be more mentally alert and acute. Overall, straightening up will bring all sorts of benefits, not just a straighter spine.
Criteria for Evaluating
The Best Posture Correctors
Material and fabric
- Neoprene: Neoprene is a variety of synthetic rubber. Its main draws are the fact that (1) it is extremely chemically stable, and (2) that it stays stable over an extremely wide range of temperatures. It is a very hardy and durable material that is used in everything from aquatic wetsuits to hydroponic gardening to tools and parts for the automotive industry.
- Breathability: The straps of these devices are usually made of neoprene; however, some models consist of larger swaths of material than just these straps. The material this type of product is made from is variable, though it usually consists of synthetic fibers. Generally, models that consist of only straps will cause you to retain less heat, whereas the ones that have more fabric will offer more support.
- Stitching: Many products have single-stitching on the hems and seams of their products. This makes them apt to fraying and loose threads. Products that have double or triple-stitching on the seams will last longer and prevent wear and tear caused by fraying.
- Traditional format: Traditional spinal correction devices have multiple straps. There are the straps that go around the shoulders to force them back, but there is also a strap that goes around the stomach and attaches in the back. This kind of device lends a bit more support due to the extra straps, and some consumers have reported less pain with this model. However, as your body adjusts to its new alignment, underused muscles will be put to work. This will lead to some unavoidable soreness.
- Figure-8 design: Figure-8 models look like the number eight (8). They have no stomach strap and consist of two circular straps that go around the shoulders and join back together in the middle, above the spine. Consumers report more pain with these models, but some also report better results. This is due to the fact that the correction device offers less support, forcing the muscles to do more work. In building the muscles, the soreness is more intense, but the longer-term results may also be improved.
- Non-traditional or hybrid designs: Some models cover the entire back in fabric. Still, others use a combination between the traditional and figure-8 design. These models have mixed results reported, largely dependant on the individual model of correction device.
- Carry case: Some devices will include a carrying case to help you take your product with you as you go. Most products will advise that you wear them for at least fifteen minutes to a half hour every day. Due to the fact that you’ll have to be wearing it every day, you’ll need to take with you should you travel or go out of town. Because of its construction, these devices can tangle easily when packed in among other items. A carrying case prevents the straps from getting twisted or getting caught.
- Detachable armpit pads: These devices pull the shoulders back. The straps that do the pulling run underneath the armpits. Due to the location of these straps, some wearers have reported constriction or chafing in this area. Some models include armpit pads for this purpose. However, these particular additions may add comfort, but they also add bulk; thus, they are not as discreet when worn under clothing. For this reason, they are detachable.
- Color: Most spinal correction devices on the market are black. For people with darker skin tones, these devices will be very discreet underneath their clothing. For persons with lighter skin tones, this dark color will be more obvious under light-colored garments. If you are going to wear a dark-colored product out and about, it is recommended that you wear it underneath a dark shirt. There are a few lighter beige-colored or white spinal correction devices on the market. The downside of these lighter-colored items is that they show stains and discoloration easier.
- Bulkiness: Some products are going to be more discreet than others simply due to sheer size. Some are larger and cover the majority of the upper and lower back. Some are two simple circles joined in the middle. This latter variety is able to be worn almost invisibly over dark clothing, such as tight black shirts. However, items that are bigger and have a larger variety of buckles and straps most likely cannot be worn unnoticed over the top of clothing.
- Ability to be worn under clothing: If you’re looking to wear your spinal correction device underneath your clothing, then size won’t be quite as much of an obstacle. Even if your device covers most of your lower and upper back, as long as it lays flat, you should be able to wear it without too much notice. However, if the model you are wearing has a lot of bulky buckles and straps that stick up, it is most likely going to look quite lumpy under your shirt. Simple figure-8 model devices can typically be worn under clothing with extreme ease.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long should I wear it to start?
A: To start, you should wear the device for between fifteen minutes and a half hour every day. Any longer will cause extreme muscle soreness. Remember, you’re training previously underused or unused muscles and giving them a workout. You don’t want to strain them.
Q: What is the length of time before my posture is fixed?
A: This will depend largely on the person and the variety of correction device you use. While wearing the device, you’ll notice an immediate improvement in spinal alignment and body form. Once the muscles in your back begin to strengthen, you will begin to notice results within a few weeks.
Q: Will I have an allergic reaction to the material?
A: There is no way to know if you will have an allergic reaction to the material your device is constructed of. Most people do not. However, to be on the safe side you should avoid wearing it directly on the skin the first few times. This will allow your body time to get used to it while also limiting exposure and allowing you to monitor any possible reactions.
Q: How can I be sure I’m ordering the right size?
A: Most devices will have a sizing guide available on their website to help you choose the correct size. Most of these sizing guides involve measuring the diameter of your rib cage. Because of the elastic nature of the product, one size has a good deal of flexibility. For plus-size or extra small persons though, other size options are usually available.
Q: Is there a way to stop my armpits from chafing?
A: Some brands will have an included accessory that assists with this problem. These are detachable armpit pads. They tend to make the product bulkier and less discreet, but add comfort by preventing irritation and rubbing in the armpit area.
- 4 Scary Long Term Effects of Poor Posture, Informational ,
- Neoprene, Informational ,
- How Long Do You Have to Wear a Posture Corrector? What You Need to Know, Informational ,