Best Sweatpants & Joggers Reviewed for the Ultimate in Comfort
There’s an abundance of importance in terms of clothing when exercising. Clothing has more functions than just keeping you warm. Choosing the best equipment for your exercises or activity can prove vital in the way you perform and feel throughout the exercise. That’s why sportswear has become a permanent part of every effective routine. Not only is gym wear designed to be as comfortable as possible, it serves specific functions such as absorbing moisture and being inherently breathable. Every world-class trainer agrees that your workout clothes can be just as important as the clothes you wear daily. Not only can it be stylish, it should also be comfortable and have a good fit—while never restraining your motion. Whether you’re going for a heavy session or just a light jog, your sportswear can have a bigger impact than you think.
- Adidas Tiro 17
- 100% Polyester Doubleknit
- Ribbing on Lower Legs
- PUMA Casual
- Elastic Waistband
- Machine Washable
- Champion Powerblend
- Reduced Pilling
- Recyclable Fabric
Sweatpants are sporting equipment that’s meant to help you, no matter what your goals are. Not only have studies proven that wearing sweatpants can essentially burn more calories by upping the heat, but sweatpants are also specially designed to be “moisture-wicking” to keep you dry. A popular material that wicks moisture is fleece, although almost all sweatpants are designed to be as breathable as possible. In addition, sweatpants can also keep you warm in harsher climates. Even if it’s cold or rainy, that’s no excuse for you to skip your morning jog. Sweatpants are ideal for keeping the warmth in while kicking the moisture out. They also protect your skin from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays, making them a great outdoor and indoor sportswear. Sweatpants can also protect your knees and shins from unpleasant injuries, such as rashes or bruises. With all the benefits, it’s no wonder why sweatpants have become one of the iconic mainstays of sportswear. If you’re thinking about hitting the gym or jogging the streets this winter, we’ve got you covered with the 10 Best Sweatpants of 2018.
10 Best Sweatpants
1. Adidas Tiro 17
One of the most premium materials you can find, polyester has many benefits with moisture-wicking being just one of them. This terrific synthetic fiber is a less expensive option yet it still provides phenomenal protection, warmth, and breathability as some of the most highly-priced fabrics. You won't have to worry about polyester fading or breaking down, and it's always easy to wash.
Ribbing on Lower Legs
In addition to mesh inserts that add breathability and the convenient zipper pockets, the Adidas Tiro 17 also provides ribbing on the lower legs that provide a snug fit so your leg sleeves won't drag around, potentially tripping you. The crafted ribbing is done on carefully knitted fabric to help it withstand days, even years of use.
Cost and Value
With the Adidas Tiro 17, you won't ever have to shell out a fortune to have efficient sweatpants. The moderately priced brand will give you the same amount of performance as you may find on brands hundreds of dollars more expensive. adidas is graciously known for affordable, high performing sportswear and you should expect nothing less from the brand with the three stripes.
100% Polyester Doubleknit
Front Zipper Pockets
Ribbing on Lower Legs
Only 30' Seam
2. PUMA Casual
Drawstrings are much easier and convenient than other forms of keeping your sweatpants fitted tight. With the durable elastic drawstring, you can wear and use these sweatpants with little hassle, and the well-knitted closure really adds to the detailing seen by PUMA.
No longer are the days of inevitable back-breaking hand washing, as PUMA's light fabric is completely machine washable and will save you hours of time without worrying above damaging your new pair of sweatpants. Their keen fabric is adaptable and flexible, meaning that they stay soft and comfortable even after hundreds of washes.
Cost and Value
The price tags on these Casual sweatpants aren't surprising, but they aren't cheap either. Compared to similar brands, PUMA doesn't provide many extra features but still produces a top-quality pair of sweatpants to the consumer. Their price, however, may be a little too high and you should see if you can find it on sale.
3. Champion Powerblend
Ever hate it when your clothes change in size right after the first wash? We do too, which is why Champion's Powerblend sweatpants are desirable for being 100% machine washable, retaining its shape even after several washes. Champion want you to reduce the hassle so you can hit the gym earlier with fitted sportswear and worry not about sweat.
Being environmentally-aware, Champion has incorporated recyclable fibers into their fleece-based pair of sweatpants. They know how important it is to preserve the environment, which is why a large percentage of their sportswear is made from recyclable material while the other percentage consists of quality fabrics such as polyester and fleece. With the soft inner fabrics brushed to the side, you can also directly feel the comfort and warmth of the grade-A fleece.
Cost and Value
In terms of quality and convenience, we guarantee that you won't find a brand that goes for a lower price while being a top performer in the industry like Champion is. The name-brand has been around for decades, being imperative to many fields of the sporting industry, and their line of Powerblend sweatpants is no exception. For such an affordable price, this fleece-based polyester product should be bought by anyone on a tight budget looking for fine quality performance and eco-friendly awareness.
4. Alternative Eco Fleece
A casual and comfortable feel is doubled with a super soft eco-fleece that leads to a sustainable future, according to Alternative. Their economy-friendly lines of clothing are all laced with a distant vision in mind, and they believe that their solution is the true alternative to wasteful products from non-aware companies. Their use of eco-fleece is surprisingly soft and feels relaxing even though it has incredible moisture-wicking capabilities.
With a fragile fabric like woolen fleece, it's difficult to say whether or not you should be washing with a machine. Many have experienced damaged clothing after mistakes and have grown more experienced from it. With the Eco Fleece from Alternative, however, you won't have to worry about the fear of washing, as the fabric is always 100% machine washable without shrinking or pilling.
Cost and Value
Not only are we confident about the Eco Fleece, we're excited about its low and affordable price. Many companies that employ environmentally-friendly stances raise their prices through the roof so the consumers can't take advantage of their standpoint, but Alternative is known to keep their prices affordable and fair, so everyone can help build to a better future.
5. Calvin Klein Media Terry
For such a modern brand, we're glad that CK brings back pull-on closure pants, which can be worn and taken off in seconds without hassle. The elastic waist is also beneficial for a one-size-fits-most in the various sizes CK provides. A durable drawstring is equipped for customized comfort.
The polyester and cotton blend means that the sweatpants are breathable, soft, and comfortable. In addition, they are resistant to shrinkage and can be worn comfortably either at home or at the gym.
Cost and Value
For such a notable brand, it isn't a surprise that prices may be a little higher given Calvin Klein's reputation and quality. The cotton and polyester blend is something you'll never find on cheaper brands, and the imported fabric finish makes this a designer fashion as well as competitive sportswear.
Pull On Closure
Tapered Modern Feel
6. Rebel Canyon Slim Fit Camo
Even though it consists mostly of imported cotton, the Slim Fit Camo is 100% machine washable so you won't have to ever worry about shrinkage or fading. The closely-knit off-seam pockets are phenomenal in that they are easy to clean and won't rip-off after a few washes.
Even though it has the looks, the material used is also of the highest quality. The french terry fabric gives these sweatpants its soft and sleek feel in addition to being completely moisture-wicking so sweat will never build up.
Cost and Value
Believe us when we say that you'll be lucky to find any similar pairs of sweatpants at such a low price. Rebel Canyon provides a great feel and stylish camo look at the affordable price that shadows all other competitors.
Tapered Camo Print
French Terry Fabric
Lacks Sizing Variety
7. RVCA Big
Not only is imported fabric more textile and well-regarded, but it is also more durable and can come at a cheaper price. RVCA takes advantage of outsourced fabrics to lower their overall prices below the competitor while providing an overall solid pair of sweatpants.
The easily-maneuverable elastic waste completed with a standard drawstring not only works to your convenience, but it also looks stylish. The specially designed drawstring is meant to keep the look casual and slim.
Cost and Value
Although it may be more expensive than what it offers, RVCA is a huge brand known for its commemorable products and having the iconic logo will attract attention no matter where you go. Theperformnts also performs just as well in the gym, and you won't ever find it drenches in sweat because of the moisture-wicking fabric of cotton and polyester.
Slim Vintage Fit
8. Skechers Essential
You never want to feel like your pants are holding you down, especially if you're like the many that use them for jogging and endurance workouts. Skechers Essential is designed to feel extra lightweight and comfortable so anyone can pick it up and wear it casually or during workouts.
The strongly-knitted side pockets are another fine addition to this high-performing pair of sweatpants. Many brands have stopped incorporating pockets, but Skechers understands that comfort and functionality are key aspects in addition to performance, which is why they added side pockets that are easily machine washable.
Cost and Value
You can be comforted to know that these Skechers Essential sweatpants will not cost you a fortune. Skechers is known for reliable and affordable products, and, even though they aren't the most iconic name brand, they always have something to provide.
Rayon and Polyester
9. Monrow Supersoft Vintage
One of the reasons why prices are higher from Monrow is because they produce nationally. They don't encourage the idea of cheap overseas labor which often comes with deficiency, which is why a high percentage of their products are made in the United States of America.
By using the strong fabric blend of rayon, cotton, and spandex, the result is an ultra-soft lining that feels phenomenal on the skin and like a cloud during movement. This is contradictory to many other brands as softness often comes at the cost of breathability and weight, but Monrow easily applies all of these aspects into their Supersoft Vintage.
Cost and Value
As we've mentioned, Monrow products are often more expensive than other competitors. They are, however, made nationally instead of imported and are of higher quality and attention to detail than many other competing brands. Monrow is also a very trendy brand that's well known in most parts of the globe, justifying their high prices.
Made in USA
Cotton Rayon Blend
10. Nike Open Hem Fleece
This cotton-blend is made in addition to the fleece, which is brushed back to increase softness and comfort. If there's one thing, it's that these sweatpants look and feel great, meanwhile being lightweight and accessible. This is highly due to the cotton Jersey material used for a lightweight and clean finish.
The embroidered Nike logo is essential on any brand of sportswear. Not only is it fashionable, but it also represents almost a century of professional sports endorsement from football to soccer to golf. Gym wear all around the globe is centralized around Nike and what they've set in stone for this era.
Cost and Value
Nike brands are known for their fair prices and high performance, and these pair of sweatpants incorporate these morals. The sweatpants aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for in professional performance and high-rated comfort. Nike's prices are never debatable, and you always get the most value out of the price tag.
Fleece Brushed Fabric
Open Hem Cuffs
Imported From China
As you can see, there are tons of products and brands to choose from in the market of sweatpants and sportswear. Although many of the more renown brands will always offer satisfactory clothing that you won’t regret buying, there are still some things to keep note of when you’re purchasing a new pair of joggers. Unlike most clothing, there are more things to consider in sweatpants such as the breathability, the elasticity, and the feel when jogging or working out. You don’t just want sweatpants that look good, you also want one that you can use on a daily basis without the fear of wearing or tearing. We’ll cover more of these aspects below in our Criteria Used to Evaluate Best Sweatpants section.
Criteria for Evaluating the Best Sweatpants
So you’ve seen all the various products and brands, but what exactly are the criteria you should be looking for when buying sweatpants? With sweatpants, you never know what’s next. What was once a fashion sin has retaken the industry as one of the most stylish trends of the decade, thanks to help from celebrities such as Kanye West who revolutionized the sweatpants look. Even though sweatpants have been embraced as a trend in the fashion world, many people still overlook the primary aspects that made sweatpants a staple before they became world-renown.
Probably the most important key aspect is the material. Many sweatpants companies incorporate fabrics from polyester to fleece to cotton—anything that has an elastic waist and can be worn comfortably. We’ll go through each of these fabrics below:
- Polyester – One of the best synthetic fibers, polyester has made its name known as an affordable fabric that competes with other top fibers like cotton. Polyester has many benefits that cotton doesn’t, such as extreme flexibility and resistance to shrinking and pilling. Polyester is also much cheaper than cotton, making it perfect for difficult contact sports where an endurance fabric is needed. Moisture-wicking is also another thing polyester does well, as the fiber absorbs while keeping a light overall weight. You can’t go wrong with polyester!
- Cotton – With similar properties to polyester, cotton is generally seen as the more comfortable, more expensive premium fiber found in expensive clothing. Cotton is advantageous because it is breathable, natural (meaning free of chemicals and safe for the environment), and doesn’t irritate the skin. Cotton is, however, disadvantageous because it is more expensive and wears down faster. Cotton is an excellent fabric for sweatpants as it adds comfort with breathability, but just be aware of how easily cotton can wear down in terms of durability compared to polyester.
- Rayon – Rayon is another fiber that imitates the feel and texture of silk, cotton, and linen materials. Since Rayon is made from cellulose and then chemically converted, it is a far more resourceful fiber since it can be regenerated. It’s also moisture-wicking and incredibly soft but will cost you much more than polyester.
- Fleece – Fleece is a man-made synthetic form of fabric derived from plastic rather than sheep. Fleece is beneficial because it is safe for the environment while being soft, warm and breathable. Fleece is generally made from polyester and can be brushed to soften the fibers and increase them in volume. Brushed fleece is usually advertised as being softer and more expensive. Fleece can also be made from recyclable plastics such as water bottles, making it one of the finest eco-friendly alternatives out there.
- Nylon – Although nylon fabric used to be a staple, it’s now rarely found in products due to the emergence of better and more eco-friendly alternatives. Nylon is also rather heavy and suffocating, meaning it isn’t the best material to be used in sweatpants and is more often found in protective sports gear. There are still, however, some nylon-based sweatpants out there. Nylon is also known for being waterproof and abrasion-resistant.
In addition to the fabric, there are various other parts that makeup sweatpants. It’s ideal to get a basic understanding of all of the following parts:
- Construction – The construction generally refers to anything from the type of stitching to the seam on the pockets. Expensive sweatpants often feature a topstitch or cover stitch that uses twice as much threading to hold the pair together. You can also notice the construction of stitching by wearing, as cheaper brands don’t feel as comfortable and can be irritating at times.
- Waistband – The waistband is what makes sweatpants different from jeans or regular pants. It’s a design that revolutionized sportswear and the acceptability of long-sleeve pants. Waistbands are complete with a drawstring that can be used to adjust the size of the waist and tie easily when done. Waistbands should fit snug without being too tight, and better products are known for their superior durability in waistbands, as they never get horribly stretched out beyond wear.
- Drawstring – As we mentioned before, the drawstring is the feature that holds your sweatpants together. What you may not know, however, is that the drawstring also offers a fashion statement as it sets its own statement. A fashionable drawstring is usually made of a compact material that can hold shape.
- Cuffs – Elastic cuffs are another important part of sweatpants, as they’re a hem that ensures a slim fit and offer a cleaner silhouette for the overall look of the pants. You don’t want sweatpants that look too baggy, or too tight, so having cuffs and hem ensures you get the classic sweatpants look.
- Pockets – Some sweatpants showcase inseam or outseam pockets that can make the sweatpants heavier, but also helps accessibility and functionality so you can store things easily.
Of course, with each type of clothing, there are different sizing elements that need to be evaluated before choosing a pair. With sweatpants, you mainly want to look at waist size, inseam, and outseam.
- Waist Size – Pretty self-explanatory, the waist size is just the width of the waist in the sweatpants. Generally, a small waist size ranges from 28-30 inches, medium 32-34 inches, and large 36-38 inches. Waist size is generally completed with a drawstring to precise sizing isn’t as crucial.
- Inseam – The inseam is the inner part of the leg or the measure of the seam connecting the legs together on the bottom hem of the sweatpants. For sizing, inseams should be around 31 inches for small and 32 inches for small to large. The variety of sizing of inseams aren’t dramatic, but having the right size ensures that your sleeves won’t hit the ground or trip you.
- Outseam – The measure of the outer part of the hem, starting at the waistband and ending at the bottom hem. For outseams, small is generally 42 inches and medium/large is 43 inches.
As you can see, there are plenty of sizing aspects to pay attention to other than just the waist size. Although the length of the inseam and outseam aren’t crucial, they should be kept in mind if you want to have a better, more snug fit. A loose pair of sweatpants just isn’t fun, and getting a pair that fits can potentially make it a lifelong product.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What type of material is best for sweatpants?
A: You always want to choose a material that’s light, breathable, and comfortable. Whether you prefer it being eco-friendly is up to you, but generally popular high-quality fibers are polyester, cotton, rayon, and fleece as a fabric. Most of these aren’t harmful to the environment and fleece can even be recycled.
Q: What are the most trending brands in sweatpants?
A: All of the brands that we’ve listed in our Best Sweatpants of 2018 list are from companies that are trendy in style while also affordable for the general consumer. Although brands like Yeezy and Gucci have notable sweatpants that will surely be stylish around the globe, they aren’t exactly the most affordable brands for the average consumer. In this list, we have top brands like RVCA and Calvin Klein while keeping our list available to almost anyone with affordable choices from Champion and Sketchers.
Q: How to wear sweatpants fashionable?
A: There’s an art to wearing sweatpants fashionable without looking lazy. Even though your sweatpants can be useful in the gym, there’s no reason why you can’t wear them out in public. For starters, you want to pair them with a cozy pair of sneakers and a casual t-shirt. Having something like a suede jacket or flannel allows you to master the effortless look.
Q: Will sweatpants shrink in the dryer?
A: This one depends on the type of fabric and fibers found in the sweatpants. If you’re afraid of shrinking or pilling, it’s generally best to find sweatpants labeled as “machine washable” which is made of a material that is guaranteed to stay durable during washes and drying.