Best Waterproof Headphones for Wet Workouts Reviewed
Training happens in all kinds of environments and terrains. Aquatic workouts are a great, low-impact way to reap the benefits. The best way to get in shape for your next match may involve swimming laps at the neighborhood pool or the nearest body of liquid. Cardio is a vital part of any workout regimen, but eventually running will take its toll on your knees and ankles; many people who run suffer pain and injuries in these joints later in life. But with aquatic workouts, you can get the same great cardio workout without the undue wear and tear on sensitive joints.
Aquatic workouts are great; you read up on the research and decide to incorporate this variety of exercise into your fitness routine. There’s just one problem, you realize: none of the gear that you currently own is designed to keep out moisture. If you take your current set of earbuds into the pool with you, they’re sure to get fried. Simply going without is not an option. Anyone who has attempted to get in an extended cardio session at the gym without earbuds or music can attest to the fact that concentrating is difficult enough without noisy distractions constantly vying for your attention. This leaves you in a conundrum. Namely, how can you simultaneously get in the zone by listening to your music without frying your electronics?
- Swimbuds Bundle
- Included iPod
- Two-layer memory wire construction
- Underwater Audio Silver
- AGPTEK SE11
- IPX8 Proof Rating
- Coiled cord
Luckily there is an entire niche market of products dedicated to solving this exact problem. There are many features that these products have that make them specialized for moisture-intense environments. Among those features are short cords that don’t drag behind you as you do laps, 100% liquid-proofing, different sized earbud tips to give you an airtight seal in your ear, and secure bands or straps that ensure that your earbuds will stay in place during your workout. These and other features have been assembled and analyzed below to help you find the product that is right for you.
10 Best Waterproof Headphones
1. Swimbuds bundle
This product comes with three separate earbud size options to help you get the perfect waterproof fit. The sizes are designed for small, medium, and large sized ears. No matter the size of your hearing holes, you'll be sure to be able to enjoy your music as you pump through the waves.
Most headphones simply come with just that--headphones. However, with this set of headphones, you also get an iPod attached. That iPod comes in a range of six colors and is also fully waterproof. It can be loaded up with your favorite songs so that you can start swimming laps to your favorite tunes.
Cost and Value
Thi product is the most expensive item on our list. However, the simple fact of the matter is that you are getting quite a lot for your money. Three earbud size options, and included iPod? This product is incredibly highly rated for a reason. If you have the funds for it, it is well worth the money.
Two-level memory wire construction
3 size options
1 year warranty
Limited iPod color options
2. Underwater Audio Silver
This product is endorsed by none other than a medal-winning Olympian. You can be sure that this product meets the highest standards because an athlete who pushes themselves to the limits would settle for nothing less. Rebecca Soni, National Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist in years 2008 and 2012, has given this medal a ringing seal of approval.
This product's included accessories are just top-notch. Among others, it includes a waterproof mp3 player that you can use as you swim. Most people purchase a pair of headphones to go with their mp3 player, but with this product, the mp3 player comes to you.
Cost and Value
This product is the second most expensive on our list. However, despite its high price, you're still getting quite a lot for your money. It is one of the few products on this list that comes with an mp3 player included. For the price of this item, you could purchase two separate items of much lower quality, but it wouldn't be the same value.
Included iPod shuffle
Buttons may stick
3. AGPTEK SE11
This product has the highest moisture proofing grade that the market has to offer. This is in part due to its unique design, which includes a unique nano-coating. This coating on the inside of the device allows it to be immersed in water 1.5 meters deep for a continuous 30 minutes without affecting the performance.
Most earbud products used during swimming have extremely short cords. This makes sense because long cords will drag behind you in the water and increase the risk of the bud getting yanked out of your year. This becomes a problem if you want to use them outside of the pool, though. The cord is simply too short for everyday functionality. The solution? This product's included extension cord.
Cost and Value
This product is by far the least expensive item on our list. It manages to hit the sweet spot between low price and high technology. It has superior quality, and while it may not have some of the bells and whistles you find in other products, it establishes a solid baseline of excellence and sticks to it. You just can't beat that low, low price.
IPX8 Proof Rating
Coiled ear cords
HD sound quality
No external support for earbuds
4. HydroActive Short Cord
This product sits on the back of the head, and by virtue of its shape, stays in place without fuss or adjustment on your part. You don't have to worry about moving wires around with this product. There's just one solid piece, and the short cord that plugs into the mp3 player.
There are both beauty and elegance in simplicity. Sometimes the best products aren't the ones that have the most bells and whistles, the ones with the most lace and frills. Sometimes a simple, straightforward design is the winner. Such is the case here. One line with an earbud at either end--easy to use, easy to get on, and easy to get off.
Cost and Value
This product has a middling cost when compared to other items on our list. However, despite the fact that there are items that cost less than it, there are no other items quite like it. It has a beauty and a simplicity of design that make it intuitive to wear and easy to use. Other listening devices can be complicated, with cords and wires everywhere that need to be tamed. For a reasonable price, you won't have to deal with that anymore.
One year warranty
5. H2O Audio Surge SportWrap
When your head is buried in the pool or you're underneath the waves, sometimes sounds sound muffled and far away. With these listening devices, though, you can be sure that the sounds will be clean and crisp. They have a dynamic base response system to ensure you get the full range out of your music.
This product comes with an ergonomic neckband that keeps the earbuds in place, and withdraws them into the band when not in use. This also ensures a stable and secure fit. The cable length is twenty-four inches when not stretched, and up to fifty inches when fully stretched.
Cost and Value
This product has a low to mid cost when compared to other items on our list. Most products on this list are not the most inexpensive items, and you pay for what you get in terms of quality. This product actively manages itself in terms of length and cordage, so you can be sure it is worth over dime.
Highest proofing rating
Designed by athletes
Dynamic base response
6 sets of earplugs
Cord may tangle
6. swimbuds FitGoo
When swimming, you want your listening device to keep water out of your ear. It's counterintuitive, but many similar products have the same defect: they're not 100% sealed against liquids. When you've got H20 sloshing around in your ear, it prevents you from hearing your music. This product comes with included FitGoo to make a tight seal to keep moisture out.
4 Earbud Tip Options
No matter where you're using this product, there's a tip for that. Not only for swimming, but also for running, exercise, as well as casual listening. The customizability of user experience is truly convenient, letting you have an extreme amount of control over how you enjoy your music.
Cost and Value
This product has a mid to low range price when compared to other items on our list. You get a lot of accessories for that one low cost, though. The FitGoo is included, as are the four different styles of earbuds. This product's low price and high amount of accessories is a winning combo.
Gold plated stereo jacket
4 earbud tip options
Muddy sound quality
7. H2O Audio Surge S+
This product is designed to be ergonomic so that it fits flush with the shape of the ear in proper alignment and channel sound directly into the ear canal. The five sizing options also ensure that you have the most personalized fit possible.
This product is designed to be simple so that even someone who's never worn earbuds before can figure it out. A simple Y-shaped cord, the earbuds on either end of the Y, and the mp3 player coming out of the base. This simple, sleek design ensures that no complicated wires or straps will get out of place.
Cost and Value
This product sits on the low end of the range when compared to other items on our list. It is, however, among the sleekest in terms of profile. That, plus its intuitive design, extremely high moisture-proof rating, extensive warranty, and comfortable fit make it well worth its surprisingly low cost.
Highest waterproof rating
5 size options
Not 100% moisture-sealant
8. Underwater Audio HydroActive
When you're going to invest money in a high-quality product, one of the worst things you could do is let that product be subject to abuse, wear, and tear. This is especially true with products like this. To keep your earbuds in tip-top shape, this product comes with an included case to ensure that the only wear and tear your product sees is when it's in use, in the pool.
Multiple protection chambers
This product has a unique design feature to help keep the sound quality crisp, clear, and clean. It sports multiple protection chambers built into the structure of the device. Not only does this make it more resilient, but it also makes your listening experience an extremely vibrant and enjoyable one.
Cost and Value
This product has a mid-range to high range cost when compared to other products on our list. If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, you're not going to get very good quality--that's just the truth of the nature of these products. However, you don't need to go out and purchase the most expensive item on the market in order to get a good pair of earbuds. This product has a great mid-range price with a full high-end suite of features.
Multiple protection chambers
One of the problems that people commonly have swimming earbuds and listening devices is the fact that the wires move around. AudioFlood recognized this issue and decided to throw in a free swim cap to help you solve the issue and avoid frustration. Their thoughtfulness and foresight can be seen throughout the rest of their product's features, too.
15hr battery life
No matter how long you swim for, this product can keep up. While it's doubtable that anyone will swim for fifteen hours a stretch, this does translate into many, many lap sessions at the pool without needing to recharge your device. Whatever your energy level, this product has got you beat.
Cost and Value
This is the third most expensive item on our list. However, when you specifically separate out products that have an included mp3 player, this is the least expensive option. With that in mind, plus the mind-boggling array of other included accessories, you'd have to be wonky to pass up this amazing deal. If you're looking for a moisture-proof mp3 player, you need to buy this bundle.
Included swim cap
True short cord
Included USB charger
15hr battery life
Included iPod Shuffle
iPods may be defective
The problem with simple earbuds is that, when swimming, there's nothing to secure them to the outside of your ear. This increases the risk of them falling out in the middle of your lap, breaking your stride and interrupting your training. You won't have to worry about this possibility anymore with this products ear-hood design, which secures the earbud to the outside of your ear to prevent slippage or movement.
This product is designed to deliver a satisfactory range of sound to your ears. This includes both the deep bass and the high notes. The amount of clarity you will experience will vary slightly depending on the tips you choose, of which there are several options depending on your needs.
Cost and Value
This product is the second-least expensive on our list. Despite the fact that it is seemingly outrageously cheap, it comes with an array of accessories to match its higher-priced counterparts. This includes a cord extender, so that you can use it at other times, as well as six different tips. Overall, if you're looking to save money but not looking to cut out on quality, you can't pass this up.
Stable ear-hook design
Just because you’re training to fight in the ring doesn’t mean that you don’t train elsewhere as well. Aquatic workouts are wonderful ways to increase muscle mass that is also low-impact on the joints. However, being able to stay in the zone while working out in the pool can be a problem, especially when most listening devices short out when exposed to liquid. However, the miracles of technology have invented devices that can let us listen to our music while completely submerged. Now you can listen to your favorite tracks while you swim laps.
Criteria for Choosing
The Best Waterproof Headphones
- Corded: Models that use cords tend to have earbuds. The earbud is attached to a thin wire that runs to a thicker wire, where they join in the middle. Once joined, the short cord plugs directly into an mp3 player. The benefit of this model is that they tend to be small and very lightweight. They are unobtrusive and can easily be worn under a swimcap for optimal aquatic listening.
- Band: Models that utilize the band differs from wired units in one key way. The two pieces that get inserted into the ear are attached together with a solid piece of material, usually plastic or silicone. This solid piece is usually arched, and designed to sit around the back of the head. The contour of the arch is designed to sit close to the head so that it does not come off during swimming. These models can also be worn under swim caps, though they are a bit bulkier.
- Ear-hook: Corded models and banded models both rely on small pieces being inserted directly into the ear, aka earbuds. The banded models rely on the structural integrity of the band to hold the earpieces in place, while the corded models rely on swim caps to hold them still. The ear-hook models literally hook around the outside of the ear; they get their stability from being anchored behind the ear.
- Cord extender: These products are great because they let you fully enjoy your music while being submerged in H2O. However, oftentimes you’ll want to enjoy your music in a terrestrial environment as well. In this case, the cord for these devices is simply too short to be practically used in everyday circumstances. For this reason, many companies will include a cord extender. The cord extender simply needs to be plugged into your mp3 player or phone and into the earphones. Then you can enjoy your music as you run or ride the bus.
- Fitgoo: Some products include Fitgoo, which is designed to be used in aquatic environments. Fitgoo forms a seal around the outside of the earphone, preventing any liquid from entering your ear as you swim. This allows you to have a super-clear listening experience as you make your laps, stopping the sound from getting muddied by moisture sloshing around inside between your inner ear and your earbud.
- Swim cap: Many of these products are designed to be used in conjunction with a swim cap. Some, like the corded units, simply would not stay on if the wires were left exposed. This leaves you on the hook for also needing to order a swim cap to be able to properly use these products. However, some products include a swim cap with your purchase to save you from having to do any extra shopping.
- Mp3-player: Ultra high-end units will also come with an mp3 player. After all, earphones are only as moisture-proof as the mp3 player they’re plugged into. IPX8 moisture-proof-rated earphones won’t do you much good if your listening device gets shorted from being submerged. Luckily, many companies make mp3 players that are designed to operate while fully submerged so that you don’t have to subject your phone or personal mp3 player to these wet conditions.
- Case: These products tend to be fairly pricey. It’s natural to want to protect your purchase from harm. With corded units, oftentimes the wires can get tangled and snarled. Banded units can end up with the ard central arch getting cracked or bent. Ear-hooks can get caught on miscellanea and break. Some products include a case to protect your purchase from these mishaps.
- IPSX: IPSX is the rating for moisture-proofing in the industry. The current, and highest, IPSX rating on the market is IPSx8. It recently replaced IPSX7. Items that are rated IPSX7 are still generally serviceable and able to handle a good amount of wetness. Items rated IPSX6 or below, though, tend not to be as durable and should be avoided due to being outdated.
- Eartips: Many models will offer a wide variety of ear tips in order to help you keep moisture out of your years. Everyone has different bodies, and everyone has differently shaped ears. Many models will come with a set of eartips in various sizes to effectively plug your ear hole and to keep the inside dry and wetness-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where do I clip my mp3 player?
A: The mp3 player usually attaches to your swim goggles via a clip. Other people sometimes attach their mp3 player to the brim of their swim cap. The cords are generally not very long, so you don’t have much reach when it comes to placement options.
Q: How long is the cord?
A: The cords on these devices are usually very short in order to decrease drag. It is usually no longer than a few inches. This is generally just long enough to reach the brim of the swim goggles, which is where most people clip their mp3 players. Longer cords tend to drag behind in the water and increase the likelihood of the earphone being pulled out of your ear.
Q: Is the cord extender waterproof?
A: Not always, but usually. These products pride themselves on the proofing of their products; as a result, all of the included components are usually proofed against moisture. However, in a very few instances this not true. Some brands market the cord extender as a way to enjoy use of the product while in dry environments, such as when you’re running or at the gym. These brands may not proof their cord extenders against moisture.
Q: Do these earphones have a microphone?
A: Most moisture-proof earbuds and earphones do not contain microphones. The added bulk of a microphone to the cordage increased drag, and thus the likelihood of the product being ripped from your ear. Additionally, because most of these products are designed to be used in aquatic environments, the design assumption is that most people would not be making phone calls while using them. That, and the fact that the added technology adds a risk for the product shorting out.
Q: Are these Bluetooth-capable?
A: You’ll need to check the specifications of the individual device to see if they are compatible with Bluetooth. In its current state, technology is still developing in the field of moisture-proof Bluetooth listening devices. The additional technology makes these devices more vulnerable to shorting out in the water. As a result, Bluetooth-capable earphones are less common in the marketplace, and much more expensive.