Here are the most eye-catching stories from this weekend’s boxing news and ring action:
– Saul “Canelo” Alvarez successfully defended his four super middleweight belts this Saturday via unanimous decision against the UK’s John Ryder at Estadio Akron in Alvarez’s hometown of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico. This was the 32-year-old Mexican superstar’s first bout in Mexico since 2011.
Alvarez, although he looked less than sharp and a step slower than usual, was in control throughout the contest despite taking way more incoming shots than many anticipated he would against the more modestly skilled Brit.
Ryder was tough and game over the distance, even with a broken nose sustained in the second round gushing blood throughout the contest and after suffering a knockdown in the fifth round. Ultimately, the difference in talent and skill showed and he simply could not compete with his heavily favored foe.
At the end of twelve rounds, the judges scores were appropriately one-sided with tallies of 120-107 and 118-107 (twice).
“He’s strong,” Alvarez said at the post-fight press conference. “He did everything in the ring. And that’s what I expect because I saw him fighting with other guys and he’s tough.
“I’m just proud about fighting here with my people and bringing this kind of fight for them. They deserve it. And it [was] more than I expect.”
Alvarez will now reportedly move on to a rematch with WBA light heavyweight champ Dmitry Bivol, who bested him via unanimous decision back in May of last year.
– Gervonta Davis has been sentenced in his 2020 hit-and-run case that injured four. According to media sources, the 28-year-old Davis was sentenced to 90 days of house arrest at the home of his trainer, Calvin Ford, and was given three years probation. He was also obligated to perform 200 hours of community service.
Davis, who is coming off a seventh round body shot stoppage of Ryan Garcia in the most lucrative fight of his career, is facing another court date on May 26 for a domestic violence charge.
— In a move that surprised few, Ryan Garcia has split with trainer Joe Goossen following Garcia’s seventh round KO loss to Gervonta Davis. Rumors have Garcia looking to return with former trainer Eddy Reynoso, but nothing has been confirmed.
Reynoso, who trains Mexican superstar Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, is receptive to the possibility of working again with Garcia.
“Yes, the doors are open. I’m a professional,” Reynoso told Fino Boxing.
“It’s my job to prepare fighters to battle, and I will train any fighter. We’ll just have to take notes and make sure it’s beneficial for both.
“He learned to use the left hand, good footwork and maintaining his distance. That’s something we always worked on. Him maintaining the distance. It’s very difficult to beat him when he uses that.
“He lost his distance, and that’s where Tank Davis capitalized.”
— Former heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder was was taken into custody on Tuesday in Hollywood for possession of a concealed weapon, something which could result in a felony charge. He was released on $35,000 bond.
His vehicle, a Rolly Royce, was pulled over by Los Angeles police for having illegally tinted windows and an obstructed license plate.
Apparently responding to the incident via Twitter, Wilder wrote: “I’d rather be safe than sorry. The End.”
– Erislandy Lara will defend his WBA middleweight title against former two-division world champ Danny Garcia on August 5 at a venue to be named. Lara had to receive special permission from the WBA to make this voluntary defense and also had to negotiate a step-aside compensatory package with the sanctioning body’s mandatory contender Michael Zerafa which reportedly included a fight on the Lara-Garcia undercard.
— It was confirmed on Saturday’s Saul Alvarez-John Ryder pay-per-view telecast that WBC junior welterweight champ Regis Prograis had signed with Matchroom Boxing (reportedly a three-fight deal). The first bout under that new deal will come against undefeated Liam Paro on June 17 in New Orleans.